Skip to content
Saturday, June 10, 2017
- 7:00am – 8:30am — Registration in the lobby of the Student Memorial Center (SMC) at Millersville University
- 7:00am – 8:00am — Breakfast $7 (a la carte) in SMC Room 118
- 8:00am-12:00noon – Plant Sale and Trade Show OPEN TO THE PUBLIC in Marauder Court
- 8:00am-12:00pm – Field Trip: Chestnut Grove – Habitat Restoration by Andy Korzon. Cost $60 per person. LandStudies, Inc. provided professional services for native ecological habitat restoration relative to the development of the Chestnut Grove Natural Area. The site includes two parcels owned by the Lancaster County Solid Waste Management Authority, which are being used for soil borrow activities for the future expansion of the Frey Farm Landfill. The project involves restoring native habitats and will ultimately result in a preserved natural area that provides both passive recreation and environmental education opportunities. This field trip will occur rain or shine, be prepared to be outside and dress accordingly. Attendees will learn about designing, installing, and maintaining a variety of native habitat types, learn about design and implementation of a recreational trail system and enhancing/expanding wetlands, and learn about the associated permitting requirements for this type of project.
- 8:00am – 4:15pm — Field Trip: Maryland – Kollar Nursery, Ladew Gardens Butterfly House, and Cavano’s Perennials. Cost $60 per person. Join us in this exciting opportunity to visit Kollar Nursery, Ladew Gardens and Cavano’s Perennials – all in one day! We will travel via bus to Kollar Nursery for a tour and opportunity for shopping. Kollar Nursery is located in a wonderful, woodland setting in northern Maryland. From there we will travel to Ladew Gardens for lunch and a tour of their Butterfly House and Meadows. We will round out the day with a visit to Cavano’s Perennials, a wholesale grower (not open to the general public) located in Kingsville MD. Ferenc and Taylor will share some of the history of their operation along with current initiatives, and then allow folks to wander and shop. This field trip will occur rain or shine, be prepared to be outside and dress accordingly. Lunch is included in field trip fee. Attendees will be able to experience a retail growing operation, be able to experience a wholesale growing operation, and learn about the history and maintenance of Ladew Gardens.
- 9:00am-10:00am – Full Audience: Great Native Plants for your Gardens by Wendy Brister. FREE – Open to the Public.